Neuromodulators such as Botox and Xeomin are made from the botulinum toxin type A. When injected into a muscle this toxin temporarily paralyzes that muscle by blocking nerve messages to the brain. Muscle contractions are behind the wrinkles and lines that form on the upper third of the face. These contractions occur when we frown, squint, and make other expressions. Over time, wrinkles form above the contracted muscle. By stopping the contraction, it stops the wrinkle from forming.
Dermal fillers, on the other hand, don’t involve muscles at all. They simply return the volume to the area where they are injected. Juvederm and Restylane and the two most popular dermal filler lines, and both are made with hyaluronic acid. This substance occurs naturally in the body and is responsible for plumping and firming the skin. Hyaluronic acid does this by binding to nearby water molecules.
Restylane was the first dermal filler approved by the FDA for use in the U.S. in 2006. Since then, it has continued to expand its product line, with various options targeted to different areas of volume loss, from the cheeks to the lips. Here’s a breakdown of the Restylane products we offer at Northcoast.
The Restylane fillers
The Restylane has continued to expand, with different products targeted to different specific issues with facial volume.
- Restylane This was the first hyaluronic acid dermal filler, and is still very popular across the globe. It targets marionette lines, nasolabial folds, and other wrinkles by adding volume beneath the wrinkle or crease and pushing the surface skin upward. Its results last from 6-9 months.
- Restylane-L Restylane-L is Restylane with Lidocaine added for comfort.
- Restylane Silk Restylane Silk is an alternative to Juvederm It is used for subtle lip enhancement and the correction of vertical lip lines. It provides results for around six months.
- Restylane Lyft Restylane Lyft adds volume to the cheeks and corrects smile lines. It is an alternative to Juvederm Results last from one year to 18 months.
- Restylane Refyne Restylane Refyne was approved by the FDA in December 2016. This new addition to the Restylane line (along with Defyne, see below) is used to correct smile (marionette) lines and nasolabial folds. Refyne is specifically formulated to treat mild to moderate lines and wrinkles. Galderma has cross-linked the gel in Restylane Refyne and Defyne to help support the patient’s natural expressions for real-life results that help maintain natural movement when smiling, frowning, or otherwise moving your mouth.
- Restylane Defyne
Approved along with Refyne, Defyne also specifically targets nasolabial folds and marionette lines. The difference is that Defyne is designed for use on moderate to severe creases and lines. Both Refyne and Defyne provide results that last up to one year.
Who couldn’t use a little boost in volume at various spots on our aging faces? Call the team at Northcoast Laser Cosmetics, (440) NEW-FACE, to schedule your appointment.